A Thousand Reason To Smile 2


**** EPISODE TWO****

The ambulance came just in time and the crowd parted for the medical team to attend to me. I was speechless. It's not like I could say anything even if I wanted to, I had lost my voice and I could barely hear myself. It's best I just shut up. The lady that came with the medical team asked if I was okay. "Dhur! My head is pounding, my body aches, I feel very heavy, I have lost my voice, my legs were numb, I feel sticky, there are about 100 sympathizers around me so yes I'm okay. Who trains these guys mehn?" Okay, I didn't say all that, I wanted to but I couldn't. I just nodded my head and feigned a smile. "Don't worry, we're here to help", she said as they lifted me on the stretcher and wheeled me into the ambulance. As we moved, my vitals were checked and noted, then they cleaned me up. I saw blood here and there and then I started to feel pain from the bruises i had sutained all over. " what's your name? " the nurse asked. I motioned to her to let me write it and she gave me her pen and a book and I wrote my name, my address and my date of birth as I knew those were next after my name. Nurse Sharon smiled again as she took down my details and when she was almost through, she looked at me again, looked at what I wrote and asked if what I wrote is correct. I smiled and nodded. I'm used to people doubting my age, God has blessed me with a very small stature and baby face and many people find it extremely hard to believe I'm 25, they think I just left secondary school. "Did you come here to stay with someone?" Now she was looking more concerned. One of her colleagues told her to leave me to rest and she did. Now that I'm supposed to be resting I had enough time to reminisce on the experience I just had. There were so many questions to be asked and none of the people around me seemed to have answers. In 10 minutes we had gotten to the hospital. I was shocked because I knew that Lagos and traffic are like Siamese twins but then again it's possible it's the other side of the road that is blocked or maybe it's about 10 or 11am...... "Shoot! Work..... How come I never thought of this?" I hate being late and as far as I know I have only arrived work late once in the 2 years I have worked there. I like to get to work early, pray, relax a little, take time to study my To-do list, look back at where I stopped the previous working day so as to continue from there and of course do my makeup. No one has called from the office yet so "does this mean it's not even 9 yet?"

The registration process was a bit tiring but I finally got to see a doctor. He was tall and dark, he had high cheek bones and looked like someone who doesn't really smile much so I also kept a straight face. He greeted me and when I tried to respond my voice let me down again so I just smiled gave a thumbs up and gave the signal that something was wrong with my throat so I asked for a book and paper which I was given. He began asking questions that I didn't have answers to. Questions like how did you get there? Do you know what happened to you etc. I have no clue what happened, which is strange by the way all I know is that I'm in pains and although I didn't tell the medical team that came to rescue me, my vagina is on fire. Sitting down was hard for me but it was easy to blame it on the body pains. I felt like a helpless two year old and I was moved to tears. Doctor "straight face" seemed a little caring and he tried to comfort me and then he said something that made me a little emotional. He said, "happy belated birthday". " Oh! My God! Yesterday was indeed my birthday..... No, wait! "What's today?" I asked with my cracked voice and he said it's Sunday, 13th of September. I was a bit relieved that today wasn't a working day and that explains why there was no traffic and why I hadn't received any call from the office, especially from Madam Tonia whose call was always terrifying, we knew we were dead when we see madam Tonia's call and we all sat up whenever she was around us. 

Comments

Popular Posts