FACING YOUR FEARS - Letters To Twenty Somethings Part 9

One Sunday afternoon, I decided to take this new girl I met at the school cafeteria to lunch. I called her number several times but she didn't pick up, I had assumed she was already tired of me. I sent a text afterwards letting her know that I'd like to take her to lunch. About 30 minutes later she called me back. I was filled with joy when her call came through and without hesitation I picked the call. Twenty minutes later we were at the cafeteria as agreed. I respected her even more as she's very timely. I didn't have to wait for an extra ten minutes like I would with most girls. We started talking and we got to know each other better but one thing was lacking in me...... The confidence to profess my love for her

____________________________________ 

The above story is the lot of many youths, both male and female. I am not exempted in this myself. Often times I nurse some ideas, feelings, thoughts etc but I'm too afraid to tell whom it may concern. Often times, we assume that the next person is better off than us and we immediately discard whatever contributions we have.

Henceforth, see yourself as the best you can be and even more. Talk to people more, even if it is about sports, food, makeup etc, ask to learn from people. By doing all of these you're gradually breaking off shyness and fear. Randomly tell the person, Hey! I'd like to discuss something really important with you, please let me know when it's a good time. As soon as the person gives you audience, find a way to pass the information across. You may do better with sending email, text, chats etc (if you can't gather the courage to face the person) or just walk up to the person and say what you have to say anyway. What's the worst that can happen? REJECTION and is rejection the end if the world? HELL NO! Yes, if you have been rejected (openly or otherwise) you may not find your feet for a while and you're likely to run into hiding however, rejection is part of life's process. You reject people and / or things and they reject you too so what? Get over it and go on being yourself. It's not easy especially for introverts. I'm an "extrovertive introvert" so I know what it feels like to be rejected after gathering all the courage in the world to speak up. For a while, rejection defined me, I'd pretty much go into hiding after any rejection or even the perception of rejection. I'd argue with myself and blame myself for everything. That recently changed when I started my journey to self discovery. I told myself I was never going to succumb to failure and rejection. Everyday I speak positive things to myself and hold tightly to it, I say things like, Ore you're beautiful, Ore you're smart, Ore you can do this/that, Ore if you don't share this vision you have and "this thing" suffers for it then it's going to be on your head forever, Ore no one can do this better than you etc. I don't just say them, I believe them strongly and it has worked for me. When I know that I can do it better than anyone else, I try it out, note my flaws, make more research on how I can be better, implement the new techniques I have learnt and deliver with boldness and courage.

Am I still shy? Oh yes, I am but do I show it? Not really. There's an old phrase that is now adopted by youths, "IF I PERISH , I PERISH". This is something I say when I want to take a step and I'm not sure of the outcome but I do not want fear to silence me for good.

Take a bold step today and share that thought you have been keeping. It could be something that can move the company forward, or something that can start a relationship with the man/woman of your dreams, or something that can skyrocket you to the top, or something that can end your bullying. Face your fears and speak up. It may not be in your favour all the time but you have made it clear that you will never succumb to fear and failure.

Till we meet again next time,
 I remain Ore Sho. ❤❤❤

Comments

Popular Posts