My Lagos Diary - Episode 1

Lagos Hustle - Art635 Virtual Museum : Art by Alfred O. Akinmade

****EPISODE ONE****
The Kind Stranger

On a cool Monday night at about 9:30pm, I walked down from my office to Lekki phase 1 main gate which is about 20 minutes away. On getting to the main gate I could hear the distant cry of the bus conductor calling in “Oshodi, Oshodi…. Iyana Oworo, Oshodi” and without hesitation I started walking fast towards the bus stop to catch the bus. I was grateful to God that I didn’t have to wait for another five minutes at the bus stop before getting a bus.
As soon as I entered the bus I realised that the seat available was one of those backless seats by the window on the right-hand side. I hesitated at first but then decided again to sit since I had no idea when the next bus will pass. As soon as I sat down I saw that the seat was bent hence causing so much discomfort. Immediately, I told the driver not to move yet as I want to get down. Other passengers called the conductor to adjust the seat. I didn’t want to sound like I was “forming tush” so I announced that I wasn’t feeling well and wouldn’t want to put myself through so much pain till I reach my destination. Of course, I wasn’t lying, in the last couple of months I have been experiencing body pains and back ache and I am trying my best to abstain from anything that can further increase the pain.
 The conductor readjusted the seat but it didn’t make any difference so I said I wanted to alight and guess what? The guy beside me amazed me, he told me not to worry and he swapped seats with me. Till I got off the bus I couldn’t believe it. I have not experienced that before…… Such sacrifice for a stranger. Although his own seat wasn’t comfy much but I sat there and I was really grateful for his act of kindness. I was moved in my spirit and I started to pray for him in my mind. I prayed that God honours him, favours him, elevates him and above all, I pray that he makes heaven.
Lagos is a land of hustlers hence I wasn’t used to such kindness. This simple thing taught me a lesson to always be kind to people, whether or not I know them or I have anything to gain from them. I am more familiar with people exploiting others and taking advantage of people’s innocence and kindness and then when other people talk about it, they’ll say, “omo, this is Lagos”. #LagosNaWa #MyLagosDiary

Comments

  1. Keep up with the very soap u bathed that very day...Its ûr lucky charm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahaha I really need to. I hope to see more nice people though. Let's make this world a better place

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts